Thursday, August 25, 2011

TO BE THE SELF: Coco Chanel

SO I had an epiphany, and here is my post on it. WARNING ITS LONG.
In the middle of my sophomore year of high school I chopped all my hair off. It was at the longest its ever been; about to my shoulder. And yes compared to others that doesn’t seem so long but to me it was. And I had waited quite awhile for it to grow out. 
But it was a very spur of the moment choice I had made just because of a movie I had watched the night before. There was one particular line I had taken very personally. 

"A woman who cuts her hair, is about to change her life.”

A few days later I was sitting in Master Cuts swiveling in my chair and staring at my cut locks on the marble floor.


Its said that all women can relate to Gabrielle ‘coco' Chanel, but when I watched that film for the first 

time I felt something more. I felt passion. I felt as if Coco Chanel’s life had shown me how to share myself with the world. She has shown me how to be heard. To have a voice through fashion. She taught me that having a voice didn’t mean the level of volume but the amount of knowledge you knew of yourself. Chanel was a rebel of her time. Dressing in ensembles that were common among men. She never wore avant-garde frocks and extravagant hats. Instead she wore muddy riding boots, tweed jackets and the color black. She was able to develop her own personal style. A style still carried out today in her world known brand. 

Coco Chanel cut her hair right before she made it big. She was fully aware of who she was, as a person and designer. And she was aware of who she would become. She had fully grasped what was inside her and she had shared it with the world through her first collection.
After my hair cut I knew more about myself then ever. I knew who I was in the past, I was fully aware of who I am in the present, and I saw my future. And it felt promising. I didn’t really care what my peers would think when I’d get to school the next day, I didn’t care that for the next year or two everyone would mistaken me for a young boy or even my brother, and I really didn’t care that it wasn’t the conventional thing to do as a girl. I was confident. And really, I think thats all anyone ever needs.

Coco Chanel taught me what a true lady is like. She taught me how to break boundaries. With elegance of course. She taught me true fashion and style. And she taught me the single most important thing in the world: to be yourself 

I am now about to start my senior year and I feel the same exact way I did the day I cut my hair. Of course maybe I feel a little more mature and maybe, just maybe a little but taller. But I’m still the same young lady, same goals, same outlook on life, same confidence, same self. 


Happy Birthday to Mademoiselle Chanel
my true inspiration 
    

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring, Coco Chanel is everything. Your hair is lovely, great post. xx

    _____________________________

    www.cheapthrillas.blogspot.com
    _____________________________

    ReplyDelete